Thursday 6 March 2014

Grey Knights and Imperial Knights

Unknown  /  at  3/06/2014 12:58:00 pm  /  No comments



So for the last week or so, I've been getting ready to prune my Warhammer 40K collection down further. It was a rather large collection spanning my 20 years of playing the game system, as well as my approximately three years as an employee at two GW stores (three if you count the fact that I worked at one when it moved locations). Suffice to say, it needed to be organized down to the armies I most frequently play to give me a) more room for other game systems I was expanding into and b) focus my attention to a smaller subset of unpainted models as my painting time shrank with the approach of my second child (aka future opponent #2. Who, by the way, still isn't here. Much to my wife's chagrin.).

The nice thing about it is, with a little bit of swapping, I was able to get my hands on one of the new Imperial Knight kits. Without the trade, I wouldn't have been able to afford the kit, the price being the only negative to the kit (in Canada it's $170). Other than the cost, it is a very nice kit. All the part fit on three large sprues, something that I was surprised to see. I honestly expected more. They also have a high level of detail. I especially liked the bars for the pilot to climb up to the cockpit.

Leg assembly

Last night, I was able to finish up the building stage of the kit and have it ready to be primed for painting.  I did some simple converting with the legs to get it into a more appealing stance, but nothing too complex (I do that enough to my Crisis Suit!). I liked the idea presented in the White Dwarf last week, and followed suit with building mine in pieces to be painted separately and combined at the end. This will allow me to do some finer brush work with the armour plating.

Dry fit the main assemblies together.

All of the various assemblies.

My hope is to have this done by the end of the month so that I can participate in a painting competition that is being held in Canadian Games Workshop stores. So far, my plan is to paint it up as a Freeblade knight, because the lore behind the Freeblades is too cool to pass up. I was planning on calling him the "Night Watchman," and using a similar iconigraphy that I had planned to use for a Space Marine army a few years ago (the Night Watch chapter, which has a location on the map in the Space Marine codex and a snippet in the old 13th Black Crusade book), but I saw that in the latest White Dwarf one of the studios guys name theirs something similar, which has made me rethink it. However, I'm probably still going to go with the name because I like what I have designed.

The other reason I want to finish it fast, is there is an upcoming tournament in Edmonton, which is one of our larger tournaments; Onslaught. I want to make a list for that based around my Grey Knights.
An older shot of my Grey Knights, in progress.
It won't be the most effective list. Honestly, I don't really plan on winning much. I'm building it for the "Cool" factor. I have a pretty cool display board I made up using one of the tiles from the GW Realm of Battle board, and plan on building a list around the Inquisition. I'm thinking of using either Grey Knights or Space Marines (done as Death Watch) as the primary detachment, with the other being the allied detachment. Add a Imperial Knight through their unique "Imperial Knight detachment" rule and an Inquisitor (possibly with a Valkyrie with (really overcosted) count-as Stormtroopers).

The parts I'd like to add are:
- Death Watch (Space Marine) squad with Librarian in Drop Pod
- Inquisitor in Valkyrie with Acolyte count-as Stormtroopers
- Grey Knights (possible a squad of terminators and a strike squad) - haven't decided on which HQ yet.
- Imperial Knight Errant

Obviously, the Inquisitor would be the warlord. Not great at any one thing, I think it would be lacking in anti-air.
What do you guys think? A bit much? Would you enjoy seeing it across the table?

Share
Posted in: , , Posted on: Thursday 6 March 2014

0 comments:

Recent Comments

Copyright © 2013 Tabletop Maneuvers.
Blogger templates. Proudly Powered by Blogger.